Latest posts by Makeba Giles (see all)
- Book Review: Higher is Waiting by Tyler Perry - November 17, 2017
- Expert Advice: Taking a Positive, Active Approach to Managing COPD - November 17, 2017
- Holiday Decor Made Easier with At Home: My Favorite Things - November 16, 2017
Usually when you hear the word workout, a gym automatically comes to mind. Soon after, thoughts of getting there, what to wear, and the uneasy feeling of people staring at you makes you go from highly motivated to exercise, to extremely hesitant. While it is true that working out at the gym offers a wider variety of exercise options, staying at home to workout has many benefits and options as well.
It can certainly be more convenient, comfortable and safe to work out at home. If you have children, it also allows them to see you being active, which will inspire them to do the same. There are more options of tasks and activities that you can combine exercise other than watching the TV monitors mounted on the gym walls. If you buy cardio fitness machines from Tesco or other exercise equipment, it is a one-time expense versus a weekly, monthly, or annual one; plus other family members can use it. The best benefit: you don’t have to keep your eyes on the clock: working out at home makes it easy to have short bouts of activity all throughout the day whenever you want.
Ways To Get A Great Workout At Home
If you have a busy schedule or you dread going to the gym, here are some simple ways to get a great workout at home:
- Do housework yourself instead of hiring someone or having your kids to do it.
- Do squats or jog in place for 60 seconds in between household chores. Turn on some music and dance while cleaning around the house.
- Do some outdoor yard work. Plant a garden, rake leaves, or mow the grass (using a riding mower doesn’t count). Sweep your sidewalk/street curb. Prune, dig and pick up trash.
- Go out for a short walk before breakfast, after dinner or both!
- Walk or bike to the corner store instead of driving.
- When watching TV, do sit-ups during commercial breaks or opening/closing movie credits. Place your remote controls across the room so that you are forced to walk to get them when needed. Instead of asking someone to bring you a drink or a snack, get up off the couch and get it yourself.
- Stand up while talking on the telephone, or walk up and down the stairs.
- Walk the dog. Or take a quick walk around the block when you check your mail.
- Park farther away at the grocery store and walk the extra distance. Wear your walking shoes and sneak in an extra lap or two around the store.
- Stretch to reach items in high places and squat or bend to look at items at floor level.
- Keep exercise equipment repaired and use it!
ways to get a great workout at home
According to the American Heart Association, 30 minutes of physical activity a day can greatly improve heart health. By sneaking a few ‘life hacks’ into your around-the-house routine, you will ease your way onto the path of better health without even knowing it.
I am proud to be a Go Red Blogger Ambassador for the American Heart Association, using social media to drive awareness of the fight against heart disease in women in order to live healthier, stronger and longer lives.