Latest posts by Makeba Giles (see all)
- Book Review: Higher is Waiting by Tyler Perry - November 17, 2017
- Expert Advice: Taking a Positive, Active Approach to Managing COPD - November 17, 2017
- Holiday Decor Made Easier with At Home: My Favorite Things - November 16, 2017
I recently revealed my mini backyard makeover in which one of my main inspirations was this year’s outdoor living trends.
Industry analysts predict that in 2016 the market for sprucing up outdoor spaces will top $5.7 billion. A large portion of that amount will be spent on growing trend of “bringing the indoors out,” as homeowners infuse their outdoor areas with all the comforts and conveniences of the indoors.
Outdoor spaces have the power to help people escape without having to leave home. Experts say ‘taking the indoors outdoors’ is much easier now because so many advances have been made in all-weather furnishings.
That’s TV Celebrity carpenter Kate Campbell says one of her favorite things to do with an outdoor space is to create a ‘comfort zone,’ such as a hammock area or a conversation nook with built-in lounges – somewhere cozy with lots of pillows where you can curl up with a good book, or a good friend. Other ideas include:
Outdoor Living Trends
- Cooking with class: elaborate outdoor kitchens
- Adding a pergola
- Warming features: tiki torches, fireplaces and lighting to add physical & ambient warmth
- High-tech decks: LED TV’s, entertainment systems
- Leisure without the Labor: high-performance, low-maintenance outdoor products and materials
- And there’s so much more – the possibilities are endless
Outdoor Living Trends
Kate joined me recently to reveal more of the hottest outdoor living trends for this season and provide guidance to homeowners anxious to achieve the outdoor space of their dreams. The star of the HGTV home improvement shows Decked Out and Disaster Decks, Kate shared expert tips, plus the latest trends and tricks for designing and building functional and fresh outdoor areas.
HGTV’s Kate Campbell Reveals Top Outdoor Living Trends For Summer
Take a look at our chat below.
Meet Our Guest
Kate Campbell got into building and renovation in 2005 after taking a “Women in Skilled Trades” course, which introduced her to carpentry, electrical, plumbing, and other trades. She now runs her own renovation company, Kate’s Contracting Inc., which specializes in small renovations and custom carpentry. She has been working in television for more than five years as part of the crew for “Holmes on Homes,” “Holmes in New Orleans,” “Holmes Inspection” and, most recently, alongside Paul Lafrance on HGTV’s “Decked Out,” “Deck Wars” and “Custom Built.”