Latest posts by Makeba Giles (see all)
- Book Review: Higher is Waiting by Tyler Perry - November 17, 2017
- Expert Advice: Taking a Positive, Active Approach to Managing COPD - November 17, 2017
- Holiday Decor Made Easier with At Home: My Favorite Things - November 16, 2017
When it comes to health care, we are all looking for ways to control our spending. What many might not realize is that four manageable health conditions – obesity, high cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar – can lead to higher costs, especially for those unaware of their levels. A new three-year study from Cigna of more than 200,000 individuals details how much these four common health conditions contribute to the health care costs of American workers, potentially doubling-to-quadrupling their out-of-pocket medical expenses.
How much can “not knowing” about health problems cost you?
Do you know your BMI (body mass index – measurement of body fat compared to height)?
- If your BMI is higher than 30, it can cost you about $500in annual out-of-pocket costs.
Unaware of your blood pressure?
- 20% of those with high blood pressure don’t know it.
- If your blood pressure is higher than 140/90, it can cost you more than $400in out-of-pocket costs annually.
Uncertain of your blood glucose level?
- 25% of adults with diabetes don’t know it.
- If your blood glucose is higher than 100, it can cost you about $266more in out-of-pocket costs each year.
Unaware of your cholesterol level?
- Less than half of adults with high LDL cholesterol get treatment.
- If your cholesterol reading is more than 240, it can cost more than $350 in annual out-of-pocket costs.
The good news is that the study shows how screenings, coaching and health technology can lower our total health care costs.
Health Services expert Jackie Aube joined me recently to share more about the Cigna study, as well as important health management tools and programs to improve your heath and lower your health care costs. Take a look above.
For more information about the new study and health insurance and care costs, visit: cigna.com/know-your-benefits
Meet Our Guest:
Jackie Aube is Vice President of Cigna’s Customer Adoption and Personalization Strategy. In this role she promotes customer enrollment in value based solutions with the goal of delivering more affordable, quality care and greater customer satisfaction.
Prior to this role, Jackie led the development and management of Cigna’s US products team supporting Employer, Individual and Senior business segments. Cigna’s extensive product portfolio includes medical, Cigna Choice FundSM/consumerism, health and wellness, pharmacy, disability, life, dental, vision and voluntary product solutions.
Jackie has more than 25 years of experience in the employee benefits industry, including health insurance and financial services. She successfully managed large operations and diverse functions at Cigna, including national account sales and client services, new business installation, defined contribution retirement operations, quality assurance, training, and project management.
Aube serves on the Board of Directors for Allegiance, a subsidiary of Cigna. She is an active supporter of charitable organizations that are focused on improving the health and well-being of individuals in her community.