Latest posts by Makeba Giles (see all)
- 3 Simple Techniques to Improve Muscle Strength with Squats - February 14, 2018
- Relieving Work-Related Stress and Pains Naturally with Sunbeam Renue® Neck Wrap - February 6, 2018
- 6 Popular Occasions for Family Outdoor Celebrations You Should Start Planning Now - February 6, 2018
As moms, we constantly put our needs behind everyone else’s. Oftentimes we’re so focused on making sure that we are always there for others that by the time we noticed we haven’t done the same for ourselves, things are too far gone.
That is exactly what happened to me. Throughout the past few years of caring for my son’s health condition, and helping my husband to take better care of himself, I’d forgotten about taking care of me. Now I am 40 pounds overweight.
I have started exercising with some basic walking and stretching around the house and outdoors. However, I know that it’s going to take much more work for me to lose the amount of weight that I desire.
In reading about getting back into the swing of things, I’ve found some interesting tips that can help me and people like me who want to do it the right way so thought I’d share with you all (some tips are also from Planet Fitness’ director of health and fitness Brian Zehetner):
- Spend more time focusing on functional exercises, as these will increase mobility and stability, thereby improving balance and reducing the risk of falls
- Biking and the elliptical will put less stress on the joints, so these may be the preferred cardio options over the standard treadmill (swimming is also a great option for exercise if you’re comfortable in the pool)
- Strength training is just as important as cardio, especially as we age to minimize bone and muscle loss. It’s hard to be sure exactly how to use the right form for each exercise but I’ve found a number of videos online that help show what I need to be doing to avoid injury.
Going to a gym is certainly my best bet. After doing some research, I discovered that Planet Fitness would be the best place for me.
Planet Fitness is not like other gyms. The members and staff are welcoming and supportive. The workout areas are bright and spacious, and boasts the latest and best workout equipment available.
Even better, new members can join any location through May 12 for just $5 down and then $10 a month with no commitment. Find a club near you at http://planetfitness.com/local-clubs and with more than 1,300 clubs, there’s sure to be one nearby.
Their mission is to create and maintain a Judgement Free Zone® where everyone feels safe and comfortable, and they have definitely achieved this. Everyone is welcome and it feels like a place made for me rather than just catering to fitness buffs and body builders.
I usually spend Mother’s Day tending to everyone else’s needs. This year however, I am focusing on my own. I am taking the leap to commit to Planet Fitness to help me lose weight in time for summer. I hope that you join me!
The content provided by Planet Fitness is designed for educational purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace, professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. You should consult your physician or other health care professional before following any fitness advice to determine if it is right for your needs.